Tuesday, March 29, 2005

ugh! drama filled days

I meant to write this last night but was exhausted. Couldn't manage to stay awake past 9:30 so I went to bed. Yesterday sucked. Plain and simple it sucked.

Gina called at 8 to tell me not to come over before 9:30 because it would take her that long to get ready. So I fall back asleep. Wake up at 9:15, take a quick shower, grabbed a banana for breakfast (yes yes I know, supposed to eat more than a banana) and went to her house. Got there and she came out the door with Katy and wanted to know if I was ready to go. So we left. Took Katy to daycare so she could participate in the easter party, went and got gas and stopped by the atm. Went up to the hospital. She tells me when we get there: "I don't want to stay long." It was 11 in the morning. I say ok and we go in. Stopped by the gift shop, bought flowers for my grandma and went up to her room.

Sonya, my parents and Uncle Mack and Penny were all there with her. Seems that the surgeon told him she would be having surgery on Monday. Some kind of test in the morning, the surgery Monday afternoon. Didn't happen. They got told a bunch of different stuff by a bunch of different people so by the time her actual doctor got in there, they were all pissed off. Dr. Maria is really nice woman but she knows nothing about hospital politics apparently and is being kept out of the loop as far as the surgeon and the drug doctor guy is concerned. I'm too lazy to look up the spelling of his actual title. :$

While we were there, they come in three different times to tell them that they were transferring grandma to another hospital. First it was Duke, then Western Wake and then Good Hope (which happens to be down the street from Betsy Johnson)... they also inform my parents and my uncle that they need to find her an orthopedic surgeon. :-o So Penny starts calling around and can't find a single soul who is willing to go in behind this first surgeon and several places tell her the doctor should be calling, not the family. :-/

Through all of this, we are informed of this: My grandmother, who could see last Friday, is now sightless. And they (the dumbass doctors) have no idea what has caused it. And her chest is starting to swell and they aren't sure what is causing that either. And the surgeon is a jackass. No one from the hospital told us that, we guessed that ourselves. *sigh*

All the while, this frail woman who had 6 children and a number of grandchildren that I don't feel like counting right now, plus a number of great grandchildren, this woman who has never ever complained where another living soul could hear her, is laying on the bed screaming in pain and begging for someone to help her. :'( I cried. And then I cried some more. And then I just got pissed off. The hospital and the doctors are all trying to protect themselves. No one wants to operate on her because there is a very real possibility that she will die during surgery and no one wants to be liable. If I was my parents and my uncle, I'd have gone back up to the hospital today with a lawyer. I'm almost willing to bet they'd have had her in the operating room in a matter of minutes. Bastards. Forgive me but that's exactly what they are. They (the doctors) are supposed to be in the business of helping people but when they screw up they don't want to admit it for fear that someone is going to sue them. And they have screwed up. Massively screwed up. I have come to the conclusion that doctors are all about the money and everything else be damned.

On top of all that... time flies when you aren't having fun and before I know it, it's 1:30 in the afternoon. My children are with Shawn (Gina's husband) and I was sure they were driving him insane. Add to this, Marie is diabetic and must eat on some sort of schedule or there is trouble. So I pick up my purse and Gina says: "Oh I guess you are ready to go." And so I tell her, you know Shawn has to work tonight and I don't want my children to drive him crazy. She proceeds to continue to sit there. (Did I mention she had drove?) Ok so, after about 15 more minutes, she gets up in a huff and says "I guess we have to go"... like she's not the one who didn't want to go in the first place. Shawn and I convinced her to go. And like she's not the one who had said "I don't want to stay very long." So I get pissed off (yet again) and tell her she can stay. I'll go and she says "How are you going to go? I drove." Parental people can see an argument about to start and try to intervene. When I tell her, I have two feet, my uncle tries to make a joke about me having nice feet. 8- Anyways, I finally just get angry enough and I tell her, you can stay up here but I have to go eat and I kiss my daddy and leave the room. She comes running after me trying to apologize. "I didn't know you had to eat, I'm sorry" but I wasn't really listening. We get to the car and she wants to know where I want to go eat and I tell her to forget it. So she knew I was pissed and finally I told her "you know damn well you wanted to leave too and I really couldn't take another minute of that room. It's claustrophobic and I want to hit someone." And she admits that she didn't want to stay but she also didn't want to leave because she didn't want our parents to say anything later. *sigh* Amazing how they still have a hold on us and we are all grown with children of our own.

We go eat and then she asks me to go to Michael's with her and to Crafts Frames n Things where she looks for latch hook precut yarn and ends up buying another latchhook kit... and we pick up Katy and go back to her house. I pick up my children. We come home. My morning out ended up being an entire day out because we didn't get here until almost 5. :-/

I make dinner. Tell Chris about my day to which he replies "if you ever in a situation like that again, just call me and I'll come pick you up no matter where I happen to be working at." Did I mention that I really love this man? I really really do. Gina calls three times after I get home, the last time to tell me about how she has discovered ebay and is so very very happy about it. Chris said "you know she's calling because she thinks you are still pissed with her"... and then mama calls to tell me that the surgery is supposed to be Wednesday at Betsy Johnson Hospital. Could these people please get their acts together?

It was a horribly stressful day and I ended it by going to bed...lol

Got up this morning. Made the kids breakfast, did some housework, talked to Travis on instant messenger for awhile. Took a short nap. Made dinner. Waiting for Chris to get home. He's working at the race track tonight trying to get some lights put up. Race season starts at the speedway on the 25th and we have season passes. *joy* I really am happy about that. Ed gave them to him because he's put so much time into the track and doing stuff for them.

Ok, now I am going to go. I wrote so much I think my fingers are going to fall off. ;)

GIST - The Sunday Edition # 175

It's been awhile since I have done one of these although my offline gratitude practice remains on point. In no particular order, here ar...